Sunday 30 January 2022

William Patrick Corgan - Cotillions (2019)




GENRE :
acoustic, alternative folk, americana, country, roots, singer-songwriter,

RECORD LABEL : Martha's Music

William Patrick Corgan is Billy Corgan. Billy Corgan is William Patrick Corgan. This guy shouldn't need any introduction. He gets a lot of shit from the media, and people in general, but he's a truly incredible artist/musician, and his three solo works to date (TheFutureEmbrace, Ogilala & Cotillions) are among my favourite albums of his vast discgraphy, and easily rival/exceed anything he's done with The Smashing Pumpkins.

I really wanted to NOT like 'Cotillions'. I think it takes audacity to release a 17-track album, but it's so damn good if you let it play out. There's only maybe 1 or 2 songs that I could take or leave, which is pretty impressive. I do admit that there's an undoubted samey-ness to the songs on this album, but it's a beautiful album to take in in its entirety during long drives through barren country landscapes. The lyrics are mostly nonsensical (ridiculous) to me, but I accept them. They do resonate in some strange way that I'm unable to put my finger on. 

Overall I do love this album. One that gets better and better with subsequent listens. Available to buy from Amazon, iTunes, etc...


No comments:

Post a Comment