Sunday 6 February 2022

Western Skies Motel - Reflections EP (2014)

 


GENRE : experimental, electro-acoustic, ambient folk, drone, Denmark
RECORD LABEL : Audio Gourmet

Western Skies Motel is the solo music project of Danish multi-instrumentalist Rene Schelbeck, and this is his debut EP, 'Reflections'. I originally discovered Western Skies Motel through the now-defunct music blog Make Your Own Taste, quite a number of years back. I was immediately intrigued by the project name and artwork, and knew I had to check it out. I'm so glad I did...

It's a perfect soundtrack for driving down dark deserted highways at night, seeing all the passing streetlights blur and flicker through the spattering raindrops on your windshield. I used to listen to this EP a lot while driving home from sad lonely night shifts, contemplating my own existence... 

The central focus of the songs is Rene's beautiful lush acoustic Americana-style finger-picking, accompanied by dark metallic drones that create these rich dreamy textures, making the whole thing very tense and atmospheric from start to finish. I'd recommend checking out all his work, but I think this EP is a good starting point. It's a beautiful taster of what's to come.

Stream/Download the EP here : 











No comments:

Post a Comment